Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Angels In America





This is my first tv show review.

Plot:

Follows a group of homosexual men in the 1980's New York and the AIDS breakout in the West.

Review:

I saw this show on television when I was in highschool and I was very intrigued by it. When a show, documentary or film is genre-overlapping I automatically become very interested. It may be hard to balance that, which I think is why its so seldomly done, but when they get it right, its an absolute delight. The film Southland Tales is a good example of that, Angels in America is another. This is part play, part drama and part fantasy. And I would also recommend viewing it as such.

We get to follow a couple of interesting individuals who's lives intertwine. Roy Cohn ( Al Pacino ) is a successful lawyer who hides his real sexual orientation and his disease ( AIDS ) from other people. We also get to meet Joe ( Patrick Wilson ) who also is "in the closet" even though he's married to Harper ( Marie Louise Parker ). They have quite a miserable relationship and that has made Harper neurotic and bordering on psychotic and as a result started to abuse valium. Joe has a mother, Ethel and Meryl Streep is doing a fine job of acting in portraying her. in this show. Emma Thompson plays a small but interesting part, but of this I will not disclose further.

Got a few golden globes and I can see why. There are only 2 episodes of this mini series or tv-show which is quite an unorthodox format. I highly recommend it. It has a nice scope and deals with alot of subjects from politics to religion to the nature of our human existence.

Trailer:


3 comments:

This really sounds like an interesting series! Will give it a try some time.

TV show with Al Pacino? Not sure whats the deal with these big actors starting their tv series recently... Guess thats where the money is...

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More